Layer 0-2 Deployment
Equipment build out of the EWN. If you have any of the following surplus that you care to contribute (501c3
) to the project, please contact
Andrew Brown, Project Director (Layer2).
Equipment Deployment Schedule
The following equipment is queued for installation in the listed order. Items marked with prices are planned for purchase as funds become available and EWN readies for its deployment. Items marked with "A" are assets already available to SVWUX.
I = Installed / Not yet operating
O = Operating
M = Malfunctioning
Items generally needed
- 2 & 5 GHz Access Points
- 2 GHz Parabolic Antennas
- SIP compliant VoIP Handsets
- Antenna mounting towers and hardware
- Low energy servers e.g.
SVWUX is interested in adding more high propagation sites that can link out from our center. If you control a suitable spot, we welcome your participation. Spots must have a clear line of sight view of two or more EWN nodes unobstructed by vegetation or structures (using a tower if necessary and legal.) Trees are of particular concern because they sway and grow.
Sites are chosen in strategic order based on advantages and the status of neighboring node build out. If you have a potential site, we would like to know about it so we can add it to our terrain maps and more readily recognize when they become strategically relevant to our build out. Please submit
this descriptive site information for examination as soon as possible.
Site photo surveys
How to equip a node
Based on our experiments so far, our current best suggestion is to:
- Determine band of destination node you wish to reach
- Buy Equipment
- Ubiquity Bullet M for the appropriate band. See **
- Power injector
- Parabolic grill (~22 dBi) or panel antenna (~18 dBi) for appropriate band
- Suggested 2.4 GHz parabolic has a superior forward pattern and will be easier to line up.
- Mounting pole or whatever you plan to mount your antenna to
- If outdoor:
- Outdoor rated Cat5e cable from radio to building entrace
- Shielded Cat5e plugs for radio
- Grounding wire from shielded plug to grounded antenna mast.
- Cat5e IW cable from building entrace power injector
- Cat5e IW cable from power injector to operator's console
- Coordinate with EWN Manager to align and configure your connection.
Topic revision: r39 - 2011-06-20 - 20:36:25 - AndrewBrown